Obviously, the countdown didn't really just begin, but at least the light at the end of the tunnel is closer and closer to where I started to let myself get excited and start preparing. I guess it became more of a reality when the doctor set the date to be induced for May 19th (since I always have to be induced a week early to have a normal size baby). After losing my last baby, I have been very skeptical of things going wrong with this baby even though I didn't feel like anything was wrong, like last time.
I started off with low platelets with this pregnancy, just like the last, but the numbers were higher and have continued to go up. At least, until two weeks ago. When I went to the doctor on Thursday and my platelets went down, but the doctor said it was still high enough for an epidural. Until these past two weeks, I didn't know that was what the concern would be with having low platelets, the doctor never told me what it meant to be low. I turned to Google and found all sorts of things to stress me out, even though the doctor didn't seem to be concerned. So, with his only concern being whether I would have the epidural or not, I thought that might not be a big concern since I have had trouble with the epidurals working well or at all with my last two deliveries.
Not only were my platelets lower at my last visit, but my blood pressure was very high, so began the 24 hour urine test to see if I have toxemia. I returned the test and was told to go up to Labor and delivery after to have my blood pressure tested. This seemed easy enough. Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared to be stuck at the hospital waiting for the test results and having a non-stress test (NST) done. Again, this is also when I learned another new piece to why it's bad to have low platelets. The hospital staff informed me that I did not have toxemia, but I have preeclampsia. I think they are related, but I don't know how to explain it other than, I don't have high blood pressure problems, just low platelets, which still could threaten an early delivery if they continue to drop.
I now have to report to the hospital twice a week for the NST to make sure baby and mommy are doing fine. Their hope is to get me to my 37 week mark, which is May 4th before they are forced to induce. They are also guessing the baby might be breach, so with these two things, I am planning I might end up having a C-section (which sounds a little easier than the 10+ hour unmedicated delivery).
I have never had to wonder when my baby will arrive (I guess except my first child) since I have never been surprised by an early delivery or even gotten anywhere close to going into labor, so the unknown thing is something new to me this time (or maybe it's been too long to really remember). I know we all get impatient to have our little ones arrive early, which I am kind of hoping for, but at the same time, I worry about him being born too soon and having health problems, so for now I am trying to be patient, but also prepared for what ever happens.